The Lefkada hospital follows the island’s history and is visibly affected by it.
It began its operation as an Italian brotherhood and a school for the poor. It later on adjusts its services to cover the need of the population for medical care.
In fact its story begins in 1953 when it is legalized by a royal decree and is comprised by a pathological, surgical and obstetric department. In 1964 the Municipality of Lefkada gave to the hospital a plot of land for the construction of a new hospital wing, while in 1986 following a ministerial decision it was reformed and designated as the Lefkada General Hospital. According to the ministerial decision, sources of income, the purpose and the services provided by the hospital were specified from the beginning.
Today the hospital consists of 13 departments. Four laboratories and the artificial kidney unit among them are new. The hospital has under its jurisdiction one Medical Center and 10 peripheral clinics and employs 224 people. During the year 2004 it provided medical services to 56.000 patients.
Medical Personnel 38
Nursing Personnel 99
Specialized Personnel 21
Administrative Personnel 44
Technical Personnel 15
Specified Time Personnel 7
Health Center – Peripheral Clinics
According to article 14 of the law 1397/83 for the foundation of the National Health System and the joined decision of the health, finance and presidency ministers, a legal framework is created for the establishment of Medical Centres as remote organic units of the hospital and peripheral clinics as remote units of the medical centre. Under the same decision, the headquarters, jurisdiction of each and the number of personnel are determined. The main offices of each Medical Centre are determined to the best convenience of the districts inhabitants. The peripheral clinics are distinguished to clinics operating at specific days and hours and clinics operating on a 24 hour basis.
The Medical Centres are in immediate scientific, nursing, educational and operating conjunction to the hospital under whose jurisdiction they fall under.
Phone: 2645031065, 31066
Medical Centre Purposes
Based on the specific framework, the Vassiliki medical centre and 10 more peripheral clinics were comprised. The clinics and laboratories operating are listed below:
CLINICS AND LABORATORIES OF THE VASILIKI MEDICAL CENTRE
Vassiliki Medical Center
Clinics: Pathological, Dental, Surgical, Diabetic, Pediatric and orthopedic tests are made by visiting specialists.
Laboratories: Radio diagnostic, Microbiological
The peripheral clinics operate as small units of first rate health care, to provide services to all areas that are far from the basic medical centre of the island or the province in general.
They are staffed by doctors of countryside obligatory service (rural doctors), while they provide services including tests, prescriptions and references to specialists.
PERIPHERAL CLINICS OF THE LEFKADA DISTRICT
Name, Characterization, Time of access to nearest hospital or Medical Centre, Number of Staff (Medical, Nursing & Administrative Personnel)
Karya,Typical, 20, 120
Sivros,Typical, 20, 100
Aghios Petros, Typical, 20, 100
Lazarata, Typical, 20, 100
Exanthia, Typical, 15, 100
Nikiana, Typical, 15, 110
Vlichos, Typical, 20, 220
Katomeri, Remote, 105, 300
Kalamos, Remote, 75, 100
Kastos, Remote, 125, 100
Staff Total 13, 7, 0
* At the Katomeri peripheral clinic there are one doctor of general practice and two rural doctors.