The Monastery of Agios Nikolaos Niras, is located before the lighthouse of Lefkata. It was probably founded at the beginning of the 17th century, 1637. It was built from 7 families and inherited an incredibly big land property. Today’s church is more recent. Its iconostasis is modern with icons created in 1799. 13 icons of dodekaorto and 3 despotika (thrones) are the work of the hagiographer Andreas Betzos. All are painted with special egg color on the board, very well preserved. The despotic icon of Agios Nikolaos is the work of another well known hagiographer, Dimitrios Foskaris, painted in 1699. This icon is the oldest of Lefkada, signed and dated, stolen and found again damaged, in 1979. Today, it is sheltered in a building of the Monastery in the village of Athani. The monastery does not have any wall paintings.